Poor American Express.
The iconic brand with the famous slogan, “Don’t leave home without it,” has become a little dated. Because what we really, truly can’t leave home without are our cell phones. Like it or not, the mobile phone has become the security blanket that we refuse to go without.
So as people – your customers and prospects – clutch their phones day and night, you’d like to go along for the ride, correct? That’s what a mobile website is all about.
The power and potential the mobile device has created for you to build stronger and more mutually beneficial relationships with your customers is undeniable. After all, nothing can get you closer to your customer.
SO WHO really cares whether or not I have a mobile website?
We’ll let the numbers speak for themselves here, but it’s safe to say that soon, pretty much everyone will care about the mobile-friendliness of your website. Take into account the following:
- Google has seen a 500% growth in mobile search from 2008 to 2010.
- Thanks to 4G bandwidth technology, more and more internet searches are now being done on mobile devices than on laptop or desktop computers.
- By 2013 – that’s next year – more people will be accessing the web from mobile phones than from PCs.
- There are almost 5 times more mobile phones than laptops and computers.
- A bad mobile experience will cost you: almost 60% of users will not recommend a business with a bad mobile site.
SO WHAT is a mobile website?
The simple answer: it’s a simplified version of your full website that will display correctly on a mobile device, with a few significant differences:
- smaller screens
- fewer images – even with 4G, browsing is slower than our desktop computers, so graphics slow down the mobile user’s browsing experience
- fewer pages – the tiny screen does not encourage complex navigation or lengthy reading
- more interactive tools
- more focused content
The bigger answer: a mobile website is the greatest opportunity you’ve ever had to connect with current customers and be found by new ones. What other mode of communication puts you within four feet of your target at all the times?
SO WHY a mobile website?
Here are just a few reasons why having a mobile website makes sense:
- Your business will be indexed in the mobile search engines. Google has separate indexes for web content versus mobile content. A mobile friendly site that gets submitted to Google’s mobile site index has far more mobile ranking potential than a traditional desktop friendly website.
- Mobile traffic will boost your overall traffic. You can significantly increase your overall audience loyalty by being available wherever and whenever they want to access your site. And isn’t that what true customer service is about: being available to your customers?
- Your competitors have a mobile website. Enough said.
- People spend money on their mobile. According to mobile research, people have more trust and confidence buying from a handheld device than from their desktop computer, likely due to associating desktops with malware and other threats.
- Mobile can increase consumer trust. Research suggests that website visitors are 51% more likely to do business with an online retailer if it has a mobile site.
- Mobile-friendly is local-friendly. A mobile website can help you by engaging local search, maps and directories that make it easy to find your front door.
SO HOW do I make my website mobile-friendly?
Don’t worry; designing a mobile version of your current website is not a daunting or expensive task. In fact, we just happen to know some expert mobile website designers right here in Greenville, SC. What would it hurt to just contact them (well okay, contact us) for a free quote, just to see how affordably and efficiently we can make your business website mobile?